PR Lawmakers Demand Fed Probe into Water Crisis
- 6 days ago
- 2 min read
M.A. Dworkin

San Juan, PR - Puerto Rico lawmakers and Congressional leaders are demanding a federal investigation into the severe drinking water shortages that have rocked the island in recent weeks, affecting over 180,000 households, who have been placed under a 48-hour rotating rationing program, which started August 7, 2026. Although Puerto Rico officials attribute the crisis to a historic drought, extreme heat, and an antiquated infrastructure that leaks away roughly half of the Territory’s treated water, a growing storm of questions is surrounding Puerto Rico’s water system.
U.S. lawmakers are calling for an investigation into the destination of nearly $9 billion in federal funds allocated to the island’s water infrastructure following Hurricane Maria.
According to information presented by Congressional lawmakers, that reportedly was leaked by local officials, an alarming portion of treated water is being lost before it ever reaches consumers, with aging pipes, damaged infrastructure and system failures contributing to massive losses.
The proposed review by the Government Accountability Office (GAO) could very well examine how federal recovery money was spent, which projects received funding, what construction was actually completed and whether those investments produced meaningful improvements to Puerto Rico’s water system. In other words: Where exactly did the $9 billion go?
The potential investigation that has been spearheaded locally by PR Resident Commissioner Pablo Jose Hernandez could likely involve a close look into delayed federal infrastructure repairs while shining a powerful spotlight on a number of top level Puerto Rican officials who may or may not be able to provide legitimate answers to such a piercing federal probe.
July 2026 was San Juan’s driest month in over 120 years, compounded by severe-to-moderate drought across 60% of the island. Local and federal representatives are urging immediate executive action and streamlined federal disaster aid to support public health and essential services like hospitals.
Puerto Rico Governor Jenniffer Gonzalez-Colon declared a state of emergency in the U.S. Territory on July 31, 2026, in response to serious drought and falling levels in water reservoirs. She stated that authorities are working closely with federal agencies as they grapple with the crisis and that an interagency support plan for municipalities had been activated to coordinate assistance to the island’s communities.
“Mayors have a direct liaison inside the government of Puerto Rico,” Governor Gonzalez-Colon said. “Each head of agency has the responsibility to maintain communication with that mayor, to understand the needs that arise, to channel urgent situations, to support the distribution of water trucks, and to facilitate coordination with the agencies that need to intervene.”
The island’s Public Housing Administration has begun installing community cisterns in different public housing complexes, while portable water is also being distributed directly to residents with support from the Fire Department.
“In the case of Puerto Rico, a few weeks ago was the hottest day in San Juan in 100 years,” said Governor Gonzalez-Colon, who has been in office for just over 18 months. “We are also dealing with almost 1,000 fires burning across the island.”
Still, a federal probe is liable to dig under the skin of an island that is already suffering from heatstroke and heat exhaustion. Figuring out how to get the water spigots turned on full blast, and making sure they stay that way, may be the only sensible solution to the problem.



